In this busy life, keeping your skin healthy and maintaining a youthful appearance is quite a difficult thing. Even if you think of taking care of your skin, you go for those expensive, harmful chemical-filled products suggested by influencers. Doing this won’t help, and all you will see is a big hole in your wallet.
Are you someone who is looking for ways to restore your youthful skin? Then worry not, because there is a whole lot of magic and wonder deep within mother nature.
Why is your skin ageing faster than you are?
Your skin is ageing faster due to the following reasons:
- Cold weather- Long spells of cold weather withdraws the moisture content from your face making it dry and results in skin-ageing.
- Sun exposure – This is one of the most important causes of premature ageing because excessive sun exposure depletes both elastin and collagen.
- Smoking- Cigarette smoking causes vitamin C deficiency which is an essential nutrient that helps in making your skin plump.
- Stress- Stress takes a toll on your skin by compromising on the skin barrier. It is the outermost layer of our skin’s surface that helps in protecting from allergies and toxins. So, when you are stressed, your skin becomes dry and causes wrinkles. Also, you won’t get a good night’s sleep when you are stressed. This can cause dark circles and skin sagging.
- Alcohol- Drinking alcohol can make you dehydrated. If you are an alcohol addict, then it is pretty sure that wrinkles and fine lines will appear on your face, which continues to grow deeper with time.
Read – Anti Aging Facial Exercises
5 Ayurvedic Anti-ageing Herbs
Traditional medicine has been used for ages and has been powerful against skin concerns. So, why not give them a try? Here is a list of 5 Ayurveda herbs and spices to prevent the signs of ageing and restore your natural glow.
This perennial herb is rich in bioavailable “silicon” required by the body for youthful and glowing skin. It also contains vitamin E, vitamin C, flavonoids, and carotenoids that help in improving the collagen level in your skin. Also known as shave grass, this herb neutralizes the harmful free radicals from your skin and enhances skin freshness. Horsetail hydrates your skin, reduces wrinkles, heals minor skin injuries, and acts as an astringent.
Holy basil is one of nature’s remedies that helps in preventing the signs of ageing. It contains adaptogens that help in boosting your body’s ability to fight stress, which is the leading cause of premature ageing. These adaptogens balance the cortisol level, thereby producing a calming effect on your mind and body. The topical application of holy basil is very helpful in reducing skin roughness, preventing wrinkles, retaining the skin moisture level, and making the skin smooth.
Widely known for its healing properties, cinnamon has anti-ageing properties. It helps in preventing the loss of skin elasticity as well as collagen breakdown. You can mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder along with one tablespoon of raw honey and apply it in the form of a face mask. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash it away using lukewarm water.
Oregano is a herb rich in flavonoids and antioxidants that prevent free radical damage, thereby delaying the signs of ageing. Regular consumption of dried oregano helps in preventing the cell damage caused due to oxidation. This also aids in new cell growth, making your skin younger and fresher. Oregano is also a powerful antiviral herb that will protect against coronavirus.
From treating bruises to making your skin look younger, turmeric can do it all. Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, has very well age-defying properties. It prevents free radical damage and curbs inflammation. It can also protect your skin from the harmful sun rays. Both topical application and consumption of turmeric serve as an anti-ageing remedy.
Anti-Ageing tips to look younger
- Sleep well, as a good night’s sleep can rejuvenate and re-energize your skin.
- Exercise regularly as it increases blood flow, thereby nourishing your skin cells, making you look younger. You can also practice anti-ageing facial exercises to restore your natural glow.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Take foods rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals that are considered very beneficial for dry skin. Doing this protects your skin and reduces the signs of premature ageing. Give priority to fresh fruits and vegetables as they help to tone up your skin and bring a youthful glow in your face.
- Apply fresh aloe-vera to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles. It improves skin elasticity and also moisturizes your skin.
- Use sunglasses when you go out. This protects your skin around the eye.
- Massage your face often using ghee and coconut oil before you go to bed as it revitalizes your skin.
So, just remember, beautiful and young skin requires commitment. If signs of skin-ageing worry you even after following the remedies mentioned above, you can consult a doctor. Don’t worry if you are too tired to go out in the scorching heat of the sun and travel a long distance to visit a specialized doctor. You can sit in the comfort of your home and consult doctor online.