We have all used the euphemism, “It’s a pain in the neck” at least once in our lifetime. But the fact is, for those people who suffer from intense neck pain, daily life can literally be a pain in the neck. For them, even simple tasks like getting dressed, driving, standing, turning the head etc. can become a difficult one.
Causes of neck pain
Neck pain is very common among people of young and old ages these days. It is the result of holding the neck in the same position continuously for too long. However, other things can also cause neck pain; this includes:
- Sleeping postures
- Sitting postures
- An accident
- Cervical spondylosis
Most people develop stiffness and pain in the neck for no obvious reason. You can often manage minor neck pain yourself using over-the-counter painkillers and effective neck exercises. But, when you reach a point where you think that neck pain is persistently affecting your day-to-day activities then it is advisable to see a doctor or a healthcare professional. If you cant visit a hospital, then consult doctor online.
How neck pain impacts your overall health?
Neck pain can affect your overall health in a number of ways. Some of them include:
- Impacts your sleep– Neck pain is exhausting, and it can impact your sleep. When you have neck pain, getting a good night sleep is nearly impossible. Lack of sleep increases stress.
- Impacts the range of motion– When you have neck pain, you find it difficult to turn your neck to do daily tasks. This includes acts such as driving, studying, etc. The pain and exhaustion you experience take away all your motivation to do exercise and yoga.
- Impacts emotional health and relationships– Anxiety, depression, frustration, etc. are all the end effect of the pain that diminishes your ability to work. It even affects your relationships. When you are in pain, you won’t show interest to socialize with people, and this further leads to isolation and loneliness. Neck pain can also interfere with your marital intimacy. Pain keeps you from being yourself and tends to push your partner away.
There are many neck pain remedies, such as yoga, exercising, stretches, etc. to relieve neck pains.
Stretches and exercises to relieve neck pain
Practise the below-mentioned exercises to relieve neck pain. Before you start, keep in mind to perform them in a slow and smooth fashion.
- Side rotation
Keep your head and shoulders straight. Then, slowly turn your head to the right side until you feel a stretch in the shoulder and side of your neck. Then, hold on to this position for at least 15-30 seconds, and then slowly go back to the initial position. Repeat the same on the left side.
- Forward bending
First, keep your head and shoulders straight. Then lower your chin to the chest and look downward. Once your head has been flexed forward, hold on for at least 5 seconds. After that, return to your initial position. This stretch is felt throughout the back.
- Backward bending
Keep your back and neck straight. Then, extend your neck by looking upward and bend your head back as far as it can go. Try to hold the stretch for 5 seconds. During this exercise, the stretch is felt along the front side of your neck to the throat. The muscles at the back of your neck may also feel the stretch.
- Shoulder roll
To begin this exercise, stand up and keep your posture straight. Then, raise your shoulders up and move them in a circular way in the clockwise direction. Do this at least 6 times. Once this is done, go back to the initial position and repeat the exercise in the anticlockwise direction.
- Shoulder scapular squeeze
In this exercise, you have to squeeze your shoulder blades together. Hold on to this position for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
- Doorway stretch
To begin with, stand in a doorway with your hands and arms out to the side. Then, keep the forearms flat on the door frame. Move one step forward with one leg so as to feel a comfortable stretch in the chest region. Hold on to that position for 15 seconds. Repeat the exercise 3 times.
- Neck rotation
This exercise is all about rotating your head gently and slowly from side to side. When you are doing this exercise, never turn your head completely to either side. Keep your chin level with the ground level. Repeat it 10 times. This is one of the best neck exercises to relieve intense pain in your neck.
Work from home tips
Since the number of coronavirus cases is increasing rapidly day by day, employees are asked to work from home. If you are an employee working from home, you may be noticing new aches and pains. If you already have these kinds of pains and strains, then the bad news is that you have started your journey towards a potentially musculoskeletal injury like sore neck and shoulders, bad back, or even carpal tunnel syndrome. Reducing neck pain is one of the best ways to reduce stress at work.
If you are working from home and continually use laptops and computers, then the below tips will serve as the best neck pain remedies.
- View paper documents keeping your neck straight
- Completely avoid or at least limit the time you work sitting on your bed.
- Keep your keyboard, mouse, and touchpad at a comfortable height in front of you.
- Never use a soft, squishy wrist rest.
- View your computer screen by keeping your neck straight.
- Sit back in your chair.
- While sitting, rest your feet flat on the floor or foot support.
Along with these simple tips, don’t forget to practice exercises to relieve neck pain.
Neck pain interferes in your life in a very severe way. Just think about how many times a day you need to move your neck. Stop suffering and ask your doctor for how to deal with neck pain.